Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Getting Older & dumber?

Have not blog for a while... NO.... I'm not getting old & dumber, just plain lazy that's all. Was having tea with my friends & all of them are complaining they are suffering from various degrees of forgetfulness & sort of getting dumber by the minute. Here are some things everyone can do to prevent it from getting worse!
Adorable isn't? My daughter insist I post this pic.

1. Stay physical... work out through shopping whatever, as exercises triggers neurogenesis- the birth of new brain cells responsible for memory & verbal learning. 

2. Ageing makes it hard for us to encode & retrieve new information, particularly arbitrary information such as people's name. What you can do is recruit help from your sense of sight. Our visual sense take sup roughly 60% of our brain area. So if we want to remember a name, turn it into a visual image & link it to person's face.

3. Slow down the decline of brain power by deviating from daily patterns whenever possible. E.g jogging backwards or brushing your teeth with the other hand. This can increase blood flow in the brain & recharge your neurological connections!

4. Studies have shown simply watching sports can boost your learning & comprehension skills. That's a new one for me, but I do like to watch NBA... they are just so good.

5. Play a game of chess to quicken your wit. It promotes mental acuity & also improves neurological colour separation skills. Even those card games like gin rummy helps I think!

12 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Have been reading your blog and the rest (like Rose and Happywander) regarding the whitening injection. Seems really interesting and i'm really glad i can find someone that is so willing to share about their experiences.

    I am actually doing a show regarding Aesthetics Beauty 101 and is looking for people who are experienced to be my guests on the show.

    this is my email address: shawna@rediffusion.com.sg and hope to speak to you more regarding this. please do email me so that i can provide you with more information onto how you can share your experiences. also you can find me on facebook. looking forward to your reply!

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shawna thank you for visiting my blog.
    Very surprise & please that even the media is noticing my little blog.
    Sorry for such late reply, old people do things like a 1000 times slower....lol...
    Was away, sorry to have miss your program!
    Do drop by again please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the most important is to socialize, keep up with the world- that way, you'll feel less alienated.
    World is changing too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone said playing mah-jong is good for the brain when you are aging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can do cross word puzzles too !

      Delete
    2. Damn I hated both...lol... !

      Delete
    3. Heard of Teresa Hsu Chih? She died in 2011 at the age of 113, I think. The thing she did was yoga. She pick it up late during her late 60s & she eats sparingly. ...we can certainly learn from her.

      Delete
  5. As we grow older, everything slows down- so it's not growing dumber. But some people if they have been very sharp all their lives, they remind sharp till the end, like my grandma :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry meant to say "they remain sharp till the end "

      Delete
    2. Must keep the mind occupy all the time. If whole day do nothing, even if you are young, the mind will deteriorate as well.

      Delete
  6. I am very forgetful & I'm only in my twenties, now I'm worry what will happen when I get older :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are mental exercises you can do. Check online for them :)

      Delete